I made a Katniss cowl


Last year, I had planned to dress up for Halloween as Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games, but the cowl took a lot longer to make than I'd expected. I threw together a Bat Girl costume, and continued to work on the cowl. 

Photo 2016-10-31, 8 31 52 AM.jpg











I couldn't get the grey-mix yarn I'd wanted when I went shopping, so I opted for a cream yarn, figuring I could wear it out of costume as well. 

I read up on a bunch of different patterns: 





And learned the cowl in the movie made by Maria Dora is woven, not knitted or crocheted. This explained why it was so hard to find a pattern.

I settled on mostly following these directions: 


I tried to follow a tutorial on using strips of an old t-shirt wrapped in yarn for the neck rings, but couldn't figure it out. I ripped it apart several times before I finally got it the way I wanted-- by weaving the yarn around three separate strips of t-shirt. 

Next, I had to learn to knit the herringbone pattern. This was tricky. I'm still a newbie at knitting-- only ever making scarves and toques, and nothing so much as a sweater-- but fortunately, the cowl required making pieces and sewing them together. So all I really had to do was get the measurements approximate. Sounds easy enough. But the herringbone being new to me, I underestimated casting on, and had to start over three times. I also undersized the triangle section. 


Once all the pieces were made it was just a matter of stitching them together and weaving the ends in (I hate that part.) I guess it turned out all right. 

(I added a mockingjay pin and borrowed my son's leather jacket, which is why it's two sizes too big. Maybe time to get my own.)

If I ever find a nice grey mix wool, I might try making another. 

cowl 2017.10.31.jpg
cowl 2017.10.jpg